Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Advent - Day 4


Day 4:  Mighty God

For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who is not partial and takes no bribe.  (Deuteronomy 10:17)

Now, therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love...  (Nehemiah 9:32a)

The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.  (Zephaniah 3:17)

In Strong's, mighty is defined as "powerful; by implication, warrior, tyrant:— champion, chief, excel, giant, man, mighty (man, one), strong (man), valiant man."

While I'm extremely grateful that my God is mighty, I must admit that the thought can be a little intimidating to me.  I'm so thankful that right on the heels of "mighty" comes the added description that He "is not partial and takes no bribe," He "keeps covenant and steadfast love," and He "will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing."

An awesome, mighty God Who rejoices over me with gladness? and quiets me with his love?

That's a God who not only commands my reverence, but also is completely deserving of my full trust in every aspect of my life.  Even when my feelings would disagree!

My hope has a very sure Foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment