Monday, August 26, 2013

Getting Through Turbulent Times


"Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to You at a time when You may be found; surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach Him."  -Psalm 32:6

According to Strongs...
rush = a deluge
reach = to touch; it seems to have an intimate connotation

For me, the deluge is so often my emotions.  Now emotions are wonderful things, and life would be dull indeed without them, but they are horrendous bosses!  Yet there are times when boss they do!  They take charge, and even though I purposely fight, I cannot seem to touch God.  Try as I might, I simply cannot feel Him.  Circumstances and life seem very dark and without hope.

The Psalmist had apparently experienced something similar, whether his "great waters" were his emotions or something else that kept him from touching his God.  Having read the Psalms many times, I have no doubt that his emotions were often a factor.

Psalms 8 tells us that God has established verbal praise to still the enemy and the avenger (NIV), but there are times when even shouting His praises at the top of our lungs doesn't seem to calm the wild waters.

What do we do?  What is the answer?

First of all, take the Psalmist's advice and offer to God prayer at a time when He may be found!!  Be still and know that He is God during the calm times.  "Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His Presence continually!  Remember His wondrous works that He has done, His miracles and the judgments He uttered..." (Psalms 105:4)  Soak in everything possible from His Word and quiet times in His Presence when the sun is shining and the way is smooth.  And then...

HANG ON!!

The rush of great waters will pass!  (Every so often I find that having a good old-fashioned cry helps to calm the turbulence.)  Circumstances may not change, but hope will be restored and the waters will be calmed.  God has not moved!  He is once again reachable.

"You are a hiding place for me; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with shouts of deliverance!"  That is verse 7, and it follows immediately after verse 6!

I love the Psalms!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment